Thursday, December 29, 2005

Whole Pile o' Firsts

Well it has been a busy week for Harriet's little brain. On the 27th we were lying around in bed in the morning as you do when you don't have to get up for anything or anyone. I sat Harriet up in my crossed legs after lifting her into sitting position with my thumbs as I've mentioned before. She then sat in my crossed legs. And just sat there. Not leaning against me, not really using much of my leg as ballast, just...sitting there! I got Jimbo to grab the camera so we have a few shots of Harriet's first proper sitting up . She's pretty excited about it and over time she gradually topples forward and she does still need a little support around her lower back. But not much at all and I imagine it's not long until she doesn't need that either. In these shots she's already doing the leaning forward thing quite a bit. It's cclassic because she gets to that critical point and just face plants. Funny thing is that she doesn't really get cranky about it, she almost moves into a semi=crawl position from there. *yikes* I'm not really prepared to have another mobile creature in this house just yet. Not that I think she's listening to my concerns about it.

Then yesterday I was at work in the morning and when I came home Jimbo said to me "Hey Cass, I have something to show you that is extraordinarily cute". I think "Yay, more photos of Harry" (Yes, I am a sad photo freak - laugh and point at the person with a problem). Then James shows me this photo...she's lying there feeding herself! Apparently James thought "I wonder what would happen if I let go of this bottle? She seems to have a pretty good grip of this thing". He took away his hands and, sure enough, she just continued to hold it and finish off the bottle. How cute is that?! (Ok, we're a little biased. But you're reading the blog so you have to also be a little biased. So, HA!).

Then that afternoon we were going to a wedding - Harry's first wedding! She wore a gorgeous little dress that was from Christmas and when we got there, there was another girl double Harry's age wearing the same dress...in the same size! Wow, she is a long girl. Everyone oohed and aahed over how gorgeous she is (or that may just have been me)...oh yeah, and the wedding was gorgeous too.

And finally her other big news is that this morning we were lying in bed playing the "eyes, nose, mouth, chin, chubby cheeks" game/song and I thought I'd play a little game. I said to Harriet "And where's Mama's mouth?". Blow me down if she didn't stick her hand out and plant a palm over my mouth! James was just lying there watching gobsmacked. I then repeated it for the eyes, nose, chin and cheeks. Bingo, each time she placed her little spazzy hand over the appropriate face part. We were so astounded. James said to me in a small voice "If I hadn't just witnessed that there is no way I would ever, ever have believed it". I then repeated it, asking her the parts in a adifferent order and making sure I wasn't moving my head in a way that made sure her hand was going for the right area or anything. And she did it again! After we came to our senses and she got bored of that game and started blowing raspberries and playing with her hands, I was kicking myself that we didn't think to tape it since the video camera was just lying there on the floor next to the bed. I can't tell you just how amazed we were. It was so surprising. We just weren't expecting that kind of stuff just yet. Now we're all paranoid about what we're doing/saying in front of her cos she's obviously taking it all in. Now we're in trouble.

This last photo was taken today when we were out at a park having a picnic with some friends. We got some lovely SLR shots as well but forgot to bring out the digital camera until the last minute. But never fear, I didn't want to leave my poor blog readers with no pictorial remembrance of the day so here it is. See you next time. Like, when she starts school next week or something. Hee hee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys look sooo cute as the Family Xmas Snap ! Harry is really growing ...and yes Cas we all know that you will have the worlds most gifted offspring, we expect no less of you. (Bring on the teenage years!!)